A typical film utilizes a distribution model in which the movie is released in theaters first. In this time especially within the first three weeks the movie will make 90-95% its money. Depending on how well the movie does it will stay in the theaters longer but a movie will typically stay in theaters 3-6 weeks. After the initial release in the movie theaters a month or two after that there will normally be some type of digital release. Sometimes the movies will make deals with companies like iTunes or Amazon to get the digital release on their platform first. Then a month or two after that the movie will come out on DVD. Alongside with that if you couldn't already rent the movie digitally they would give that option to rent the movie digitally. Similarly to the digital release big companies like Target sometimes will also pay to have movie released in just their store for some amount of time.
Cloverfield Paradox is an interesting development in the film industry. The previous Cloverfield movies were released to film first after months of advertising and such. However, The Cloverfield Paradox did something different and instead of advertising for months they aired a commercial during the superbowl and then after the superbowl the movie was available on Netflix. It skipped the traditional movie model of putting the movie directly in theaters and then later releasing it digitally and just immediately released it digitally. It was a bold move and brought a lot of attention to the movie. While the movie got mixed reviews but overall I do appreciate this tactic and I hope to see more movies do similar things in the future.
The Hunger Games is a movie series set in a dystopian future where the government controls all their people and forces people to live in certain ways and accept it. They do this out of fear. And people abide by the rules because they fear the government and that they are always listening. They do a good job of conveying that worry in the film. They often show guards and the government listening in on the people. I want to convey that feeling of never feeling safe and that 'someone' is always listening. I want the audience to feel worried for the protagonist. I want the audience to feel almost as if there is a pair of eyes watching them and that their government is plotting against them after watching my film. Well maybe not to that extent but what I'm getting at is that hunger games has a consistent feeling of being watched and I'd like to convey that feeling in my film.
Comments
Post a Comment